Chicken Alfredo…Healthy Style!
Servings: 8 (2 Cups Each)
Prep Time: 30 Min
Cooking Time: 17 Min
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents:
1/2 Green, 1/2 Yellow, 1/2 Red, 1 Blue, 1/2 T
4 oz dry whole wheat shell noodles
4 tsp coconut oil (or organic butter)
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 1/2 C milk (or almond milk)
1 1/4 C shredded Italian cheese (parmesan, romano, asiago, etc)
3 C boneless, skinless chicken breasts – baked and shredded
4 C broccoli florets, steamed and chopped
6 leaves fresh basil
2 tsp fresh oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used a garlic press)
1. Cook shell noodles according to package directions. Do not use salt or oil if suggested in directions. Set aside.
2. Melt coconut oil in saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add flour; whisk constantly for 1 mine or until brown (be sure to not let it burn).
4. Slowly whisk in milk; whisk constantly for 1-2 min or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
5. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; whisk constantly for 1 minute or until heated through.
6. Add chicken, broccoli, basil, oregano and garlic; stir constantly for 1 minute or until heated through.
7. Serve immediately.
~ You could also switch it up by using asparagus, green beans or brussels sprouts.
~ Another swap you can make is using quinoa pasta, or a different pasta like macaroni or penne.
~ Also, a great variation would be to use different cheese and/or switch up the spices.
~ You could even go a Mexican route with this recipe if you felt creative!
~ Or you could even give the flavor more depth and marinade the chicken, then grill it! So many different options… 🙂