PIZZA LOVERS… UNITE!!!
I don’t know about you, but our family LOVES having pizza for supper! This recipe will provide a healthier alternative to pizza – it’s not completely “healthy” but it’s much better than normal pizza because there are no starchy carbs! Annnnd you get to sneak in servings of veggies while your taste buds are none the wiser! 🙂
2 Spaghetti Squash
Olive Oil (for basting)
15 oz or 28 oz Tomato Sauce
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
1/2 lb Italian Sausage
24 Pepperoni (about 1/2 pkg)
2 C Mozzarella Cheese
All spices are to taste…
Garlic (fresh minced or powder)
Basil (fresh chopped or dried)
Oregano (fresh chopped or dried)
Pinch Himalayan Sea Salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With a knife, carefully score around the spaghetti squash lengthwise, poke a few holes along the score. (I took a bread knife and just rocked it on the squash allowing the serrated edge to poke the holes)
- Microwave squash on high for 5 min. Allow to cool for a bit.
- Cut squash in half along the score, scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the inside of both halves of the squash with olive oil.
- Place the halves cut side down on a baking sheet. (I line mine with aluminum foil so that I don’t have to scrub the pan so much.)
- Roast the squash until tender (about 30 minutes), allow a couple minutes to cool.
- Using a fork, scrape the insides to create spaghetti-like texture. Leave insides in the squash.
- Place Italian sausage and onion in a skillet on medium-high heat. Brown the meat while the onion is also sautéing. Cook until the sausage is cooked through. *
- Stir in the tomato sauce and add seasonings. Bring to a simmer.
- Spread tomato/sausage mixture evenly between the squash halves.
- Sprinkle 1/2 C cheese on each half.
- Place pepperoni on top of the cheese. **
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 5-7 minutes. If you’d like to have the cheese a little brown, you can use your broil option in your oven but be sure to check it often so it doesn’t get too done.
* To minimize grease, you can use turkey sausage and/or place 3 sheets of paper towel on a plate, take the Italian sausage out of the pan and put it onto the paper towel. Take more paper towel and place it on top of the sausage. Press down on the top sheets to soak up as much grease as possible.
** To minimize grease, use turkey pepperoni and/or place 2-3 sheets of paper towel on the counter. Line up the pepperoni on the paper towel and then place 2-3 sheets on top of that. Take a rolling pin and press down as hard as you can while rolling the rolling pin over the paper towel. This will draw out some of the grease from the pepperoni.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family did! If you like it, feel free to share it on Facebook, Pinterest, your next family reunion or whatever other avenue you’d like! I’m always here for whoever you share it with if they ever need any help with health & fitness. I love helping people feel great about themselves!
~ Lacey Busse ~