So you’ve been doing a GREAT job all year trying your absolute best to stay on track with eating healthy and now… the holidays are upon us. Yikes!
- Do you let it completely derail you and start over January 1st?
- Do you feel restricted the next 2 months because you’re on a diet?
- Do you not show up to parties and just stay away to stay on track?
Well… I would give a big ole “HELL NO!” to all of those options!
Remember… eating healthy foods is a lifestyle and is one that you can stick to even through the holidays WHILE enjoying your favorite foods and enjoying your time with family and friends!
Here are my TOP TIPS when it comes to holiday parties!
Bringing a Dish to Pass…
If you’ve been asked to bring a dish to pass, there are SO many healthy recipes out there, but a lot of times I get SUPER OVERWHELMED trying to sift through all of them! So… HERE is one of my FAVORITE PARTY RECIPES for when I need to bring a dish to pass to a party because it’s crazy easy, healthy AND goes over really well!
Before you go…
Eat before you go. I know, that sounds absurd right?! You should save all of your calories for at the party because otherwise you’re going to go way over. Wrong. I would recommend eating a very satisfying meal that is full of nutrients right before you go to the party. Your taste buds will be content, your stomach will be full and most importantly your body will not be craving any of the junk food that is at the party because it already got all of the nutrients that it needs!
While you’re there…
- Because you just fueled up with good food, you’ll feel more energetic and most likely less anxious about small talk. I don’t know about you, but I love going to parties when I know people and can talk about real life stuff. When I have to talk to people I haven’t seen in a long time and it’s small talk, no thank you!
- If you’re drinking cocktails, a good tip to help ward off hangovers is to throw in a water here and there to stay hydrated.
- Most of all, while you’re there, just enjoy yourself! Have a great time! I know personally how much nutrition can get in your head and make you feel guilty. Make the best choices for yourself, be strict if you really want to stick to your goals, but also know that it’s ok (and I actually encourage it) to just loosen up a little and LIVE in the moment sometimes too!
The day after…
Despite your best intentions, chances are you might have eaten some things last night that aren’t making you feel very good today – physically AND emotionally.
- Physically, drink as much water as you can today and get active.
- Emotionally, STOP beating yourself up.
- This whole healthy lifestyle thing is just that – a LIFESTYLE.
- Eating unhealthy food does not make you a failure. It doesn’t make you a bad person. It doesn’t mean you have no willpower. You’re HUMAN.
- The past is in the past and it’s totally ok!
- Take a deep breath, remind yourself “I’ve got this. I can do this!” and get right back on track.
Happy partying and much love!
~ Lacey Busse ~
Health & Fitness Coach